Thursday, February 24, 2011
Caleb's Allergy Results
We got a call from Caleb's doctor yesterday about his allergy test results. The results were devastating to me, and I went through a grieving process yesterday, but "though the sorrow may last for the night, His joy comes in the morning". I am feeling better today. Caleb is allergic to milk, soy, wheat, corn, oranges, peanuts, and honey. We went out to Harris Teeter last night to try to find him some food that he can eat, and the experience was disheartening. Everything has one of those four ingredients (milk, soy, corn or wheat!) I had to put many things back after reading the label, but I did find a raspberry sorbet, some rice noodles, rice bread and rice crackers. I got him some oat milk that he ate this morning in his oatmeal. Since he can't eat anything processed or boxed anymore, I am going to change all of our diets instead of only his which will surprisingly make it easier for me. It will also make all of us a lot healthier, I'm sure. Praise the Lord he is not allergic to any meat, so we should be able to still have a nice meal without any substitutions, like chicken, greenbeans and a plain sweet potato or rice. Not using smart balance or butter anymore will be hard. I am going to go to Earth Fare today to try to find some butter, yogurt and cheese alternatives (that are not made from soy) since he loves dairy so much. There is hope, I am sure we will get used to eating things that taste like cardboard and have a weird texture. It won't take long...there is hope.
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
Sweet Caleb!! :( I subscribe to a great magazine called "Clean Eating" -- I bought the first one at Barnes and Noble. I wonder if you could find some good recipes in there? We'll be praying for you guys.
ReplyDeleteOh my gosh! I am sure that was disheartening for sure! I agree though that changing all of your eating habits would be easier. Praying for wisdom and your adjustment period!
ReplyDeleteLiz Horn