Tuesday, December 7, 2010

Santa Clause

Santa...where do I start with this jolly old Saint?
My parents didn't play the Santa game with us, they told us that Santa is a fairy tale very loosely based on a man named Saint Nicolas. They told us that some parents tell their kids that Santa is real, and not to spoil the game for them. My sisters and I were all fine with that explanation, and I must say that at about 8 years old I was relieved when most of my friends didn't "believe" anymore.
It never crossed my mind that I would tell my own kids about Santa, because I didn't do it, and didn't miss out on anything.  Christmas was just as special and spectacular for me as it was for anyone else. We still got presents, they were just from my loving parents, and not Santa. We put out cookies for my parents to eat while they put out our presents that night. It was exciting and fun, no Santa required. I was glad that Kevin felt the same way about Santa when we had Koi's first Christmas. But the more I began to think about Santa, the more turned off I became at the idea of him. I want my relationship with my children to be based on truth, honesty, and openness. I shutter at the thought of purposely trying to deceive my child and going to great lengths to try to make them believe in something that is not real or true.  Another thing that bothers me is the whole "he sees you when you're sleeping, and knows when you're awake...."thing. So, people tell their kids to be good because Santa is watching them. Ok, what is wrong with telling them that God is watching them, because He really is! If Santa is taking the place of God in this sentence, something is seriously wrong.  I know that many many millions of children have "believed in Santa" and came away unscathed, and obviously do the Santa thing with their own kids. But what about the kid who grows up and says, "you told me Santa was real, why would I believe you when you say God is real? -This actually happened to a person I know. If that person is the only one in the world (which I'm sure he is not) who ever felt that way, it would be one person too many. What a tragedy! Was it worth it? A few years of fun at the child's expense? I don't think so.
 Yes! I think imaginative play is great, I think that fairy tales are fun, but you MUST tell your children the difference between fantasy and reality. Don't confuse them when they are so young and trusting. Don't cloud the real meaning of Christmas with meaningless distractions.

  "In those days Caesar Augustus issued a decree that a census should be taken of the entire Roman world.  (This was the first census that took place while Quirinius was governor of Syria.)  And everyone went to their own town to register.
  So Joseph also went up from the town of Nazareth in Galilee to Judea, to Bethlehem the town of David, because he belonged to the house and line of David.  He went there to register with Mary, who was pledged to be married to him and was expecting a child.  While they were there, the time came for the baby to be born,  and she gave birth to her firstborn, a son. She wrapped him in cloths and placed him in a manger, because there was no guest room available for them.
  And there were shepherds living out in the fields nearby, keeping watch over their flocks at night.  An angel of the Lord appeared to them, and the glory of the Lord shone around them, and they were terrified.  But the angel said to them, “Do not be afraid. I bring you good news that will cause great joy for all the people.  Today in the town of David a Savior has been born to you; he is the Messiah, the Lord. This will be a sign to you: You will find a baby wrapped in cloths and lying in a manger.”
  Suddenly a great company of the heavenly host appeared with the angel, praising God and saying,
  “Glory to God in the highest heaven,
   and on earth peace to those on whom his favor rests.”

  When the angels had left them and gone into heaven, the shepherds said to one another, “Let’s go to Bethlehem and see this thing that has happened, which the Lord has told us about.”
  So they hurried off and found Mary and Joseph, and the baby, who was lying in the manger.  When they had seen him, they spread the word concerning what had been told them about this child,  and all who heard it were amazed at what the shepherds said to them.  But Mary treasured up all these things and pondered them in her heart.  The shepherds returned, glorifying and praising God for all the things they had heard and seen, which were just as they had been told."- Luke 2:1-18

5 comments:

  1. Amen! Stu and I have decided against the Santa thing too. We were both raised "believing" in him and have fond memories associated with that, but the more we talk about it, the more we want Christmas to be about CHRIST and not some other guy... :) Thanks for your encouragement in this. PS - congrats on your i600 approval!!! How exciting!

    ReplyDelete
  2. We're supporters of Christmas being about Jesus too! Ditto everything you and Kate said. :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. THANK YOU! this is adam by the way i know me being on the internet is far fetched and commenting on a blog even further.. but i agree 100% wish someone could publish that blog on the front page of the paper!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Great post, we too believe the same things and don't do Santa. I love CHRISTmas and we have a great time celebrating Jesus!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Great post, Laura. I completely agree. My parents played along with Santa, and when we asked if he was real, they were honest and said that it was a fun make-believe person based on St. Nicholas.

    Like you, we still put out cookies, but we knew the truth, and I am thrilled to say that my parents never lied to us.

    We have done the same with our kids. I've just always felt that it is REALLY wrong to flat out lie to your kids, and then expect them to trust you, and to never lie to you. Thanks for posting about it!

    Have a blessed CHRISTmas. He IS the reason that we celebrate Christmas in the first place!

    Blessings,
    Katie
    myfourwords.blogspot.com
    DTE11/19/2010

    ReplyDelete