As I celebrate the two wonderful years that Caleb has been a part of my life, and give thanks to God for him, I remember the wonderful blessing of his birth. Here is the email I sent to friends and family after he was born: O, Tell of the Wonderful things the Lord has done.......... First a little history: When I was pregnant with Koi, I planned on a natural birth, took the Bradley classes, and hired a Doula. About 3 weeks before my due date my Dr. said that he was breech, and if he didn't turn. I would have to have a c-section. I was devastated. I literally mourned over having a c-section for years, tearing up every time I even thought about it. When I got pregnant with Claira, I was interested in a VBAC, but again, she was breech and I had to have another c-section with her, again, I was devastated. I felt like I had trained for a marathon, but then on race day someone sat me down in a wheel chair and pushed me though the race. Then at the finish line they said, "it doesn't matter how you finish the race as long as you finished" But my heart said, "yes, I finished, but I didn't get to run." Now with this pregnancy I asked my Dr. about a VBAC, and she said that it wasn't likely that this baby would be head down given my history, and that she would not do it, I'd have to go to MUSC. So, we prayed about it and decided that IF this baby was head down, and IF my Dr. would refer me to MUSC, then it was a sign from God that it would work out and be a blessing, and IF not, then I'd just have to accept that I was doomed to have another c-section. Caleb was breech at about 30 weeks, so we figured that this would be another c-section. But he turned in the middle of the night at about 35 weeks. On the wednesday before my scheduled c-section, my Dr. told me that he was now head down, and if I wanted to try a VBAC, she would refer me to MUSC. I was so ecstatic, and knew that that was exactly what we had prayed for months ago. Since Caleb was a big baby, and late, the Dr. decided to schedule an induction on Monday if he hadn't come by then. We prayed and trusted in the Lord to keep Caleb and myself safe. Monday morning, he still hadn't come, so we went to MUSC and they started me on about 1/4th of the pitocine that they would give someone who was not attempting a VBAC, and said they want things to go slow. I got an epidural just in case something went wrong so they would not have to knock me out to do an emergency c-section. I had a very negative nurse for most of the day who kept telling me that most people's VBAC attempts end in c-sections (which is not true) but she deflated my hopes of being successful. In the first 6 hours I went from 4 centimeters to 5, so the nurse told me that it it would be a long day, predicting that I wouldn't get to 10 cm for another 5 hours. Well, about 30 minutes later my epidural stropped working because it got a kink in the cord and once we noticed what was wrong, I was in tremendous pain that could not be controlled by the epidural anymore.. It turns out that I was in transition. After about an hour of this terrible pain, shaking and feeling completely out of control, the Dr. came in and checked me and said, "We are ready to have a baby! Get ready to Push!" I was so happy that I cried. I thought, "This is going to work! I can't believe it!" A few minuted later, a crew of Drs, and Nurses were all ready, and I pushed for about 25 minutes. Though it only felt like a couple minutes to me, I was so excited. He came out and I got to hold him right away,( not wait an hour until I was out in the recovery room like with my other two.) I was up and walking in about 2 hours, ( instead of 24 hours). And all I can say or think all night long is" THANK YOU LORD FOR THIS INCREDIBLE GIFT! I couldn't sleep, I just lay there thanking God for healing me of years of utter disapointment. It was like this weight of darkness and misery was lifted that moment and I was free of it for the first time in 4 1/2 years. It was gone. I was healed. The Lord has given me the desire of my heart, He turned my mourning into dancing. It is permanently engraved on my mind as an incredible God moment in my life, I have been so blessed by this. The Lord is my strength and song, my ever present help in need. :) Baby's name is Caleb Zachariah McFarland. He weighed 9 lbs 7 oz, and is 22 1/2 in long. His hair is light, and his eyes are dark. He is so cute, and such a sweet baby. Thank you all for your prayers and kind words of encouragement and blessings. Praise the Lord! Love, Laura |
Wednesday, August 31, 2011
My Baby Turned 2 Today!!
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)

No comments:
Post a Comment