Tuesday, May 10, 2011

Day 4 in Ethiopia


We had the best time with Isaac today. He has learned our names!! He calls me Mommy and he calls Kevin Daddy! We were so thrilled. Some of the kids playing with him asked him, "Where is your mommy?" and Isaac pointed to me. :) Then I picked him up and we were walking and he turned around and reached towards Kevin and said "Daddy!" He can also count to three, maybe higher. Today he said "balloon", "go get it" "up to mommy" "come" he also said his own name (Yedidiya) He repeated a lot of English words to us. We have noticed that he wants to be with both of us at once. If one of us gets up, he follows, and calls the other one to come too. He also holds our hand and leads us places. He talks to the older kids. He is so smart. He did have a melt down today though. He wanted Kevin's water bottle even though he already had his own. Kevin wouldn't let him have it, so he fell to the ground and cried.  Another boy came over and talked to him in Amharic and cheered him up. The kids really depend on each other here, it is so sweet. There was another sweet little girl who kept picking him up, which he loved, but he is so heavy, she kept getting him hurt as she struggled, so he came back to me. When we first met Isaac, he wouldn't go down the slide, but today he loved it. He is changing right before our eyes! I can not believe how quickly he is picking up English. He is getting a 3 hour lesson every day from us.  When we leave he gives us kisses and says "ciao" He still doesn't mind when it is time to go. But we do tell him we will be back tomorrow. I wonder what he will think after a whole week of personal attention, and then all of the sudden we stop showing up.  He does not seem to recognize the word "I love you" in Amharic. I suppose the nannies do not say that to them, I'm not sure. I do tell it to him in English too, of course he doesn't know what it means in english, but he will. He also likes to throw things over the railing and have daddy "go get it" . He laughs so hard, it is very cute. I can not believe how heavy he is, he is like a rock, I can barely lift him up over my head, (he likes that). I am so used to how light Caleb is, I can toss him up in the air over and over, I struggle to pick up Isaac. He is also dead weight, he doesn't wrap his legs around, none of the children do, I guess they are not picked up a lot in the orphanages. He just lets his legs dangle. I try to make them wrap around me, but he won't hold them like that. Very interesting.  
 We had a traditional dinner tonight and it was so awesome! We sat upfront so we were right in front of the dancers and singers. One of the dancers actually pulled Kevin up in stage and made him dance. Very entertaining! The food tasted good, but I got sick last night, so I am assuming it was the 4 or 5 bites I was brave enough to eat. We have court tomorrow, so pray we pass. We also meet the birth father which is a huge source of anxiety for me at the moment. I am a ball of nerves. I miss our kids so much! It get's harder being away from them everyday. 
Until tomorrow...









No comments:

Post a Comment