With such a great first week, I thought it would just get better, but we seem to have hit some road bumps. As Isaac has gotten more comfortable with us, he has really started to test us. How far can he go, he wonders? Like we are substitute teachers that he is testing. Of course he does it all with a huge goofy grin on his face thinking that if he is cute enough, he can get away with it. We have broken him of the worst habit of all... Spitting! When he would get mad, he would spit at us, or on the floor... NOT allowed in our home, EVER! This was difficult for both of us, because the offense taken from someone spitting at you is pretty severe. Not to mention hurtful when it comes from your child that you love and want the world for. I am so glad to say he hasn't spit in over a week.
The post adoption for me has gotten emotional. I feel like I have the same"baby blues" that I had after the birth of my three other children. It is very overwhelming to adjust to having an extra child in the house. It is a huge adjustment for all 6 of us. Caleb has been acting out because Isaac is the "new baby" who gets a lot of his attention. He has to share with and love this new "intruder" (as he sees it) for the rest of his life. I think he is ready for his new friend to go back home. They do have a lot of fun together too, but after the first week, it got pretty testy between them. Claira is ready for her new sister to get here, we all are, but with her arrival comes a NEW new normal. Another transition on top of this one. We will have a 7 year old that doesn't speak english. What will this really look like?
When I start to wonder "what in the world did we just do?" I am reminded of the wise words " IT'S NOT ABOUT ME!" We didn't adopt these kids because we thought it would make our lives easier, or better, or more fulfilled. We adopted these kids because God placed an ache in our hearts for children who have no parents, no family, no home, no hope. He placed a desire to rescue a hurting soul and turn their little faces to Him. He called us to do an incredibly difficult thing. And everything worth doing is hard to do. It is not about us. It is about Jesus. It is about doing His will, which is not always easy. It is Not about us! I long to do His will with a grateful attitude. I want to do the hard things with joy. I want to love the unlovely. I want to care for the sick and downtrodden. I just want to have a pure heart before the Lord. I hate it when my flesh gets in the way. We are so brainwashed into thinking happiness is in an easy, successful, wealthy life. Not many people would trade the American Dream for a stressful life of childrearing and home schooling. It is not my dream, but my calling. I am fighting it, and it is difficult. But I know the Lord's treasures are far better than a pool and a sodded backyard. Pray for me to be content!
The miracles I have seen God preform in this adoption is enough to give me complete peace knowing that this is the Lord's will for us. I have never been more convinced about anything in my life. This was the Lord's plan from the foundations of the earth.
The post adoption for me has gotten emotional. I feel like I have the same"baby blues" that I had after the birth of my three other children. It is very overwhelming to adjust to having an extra child in the house. It is a huge adjustment for all 6 of us. Caleb has been acting out because Isaac is the "new baby" who gets a lot of his attention. He has to share with and love this new "intruder" (as he sees it) for the rest of his life. I think he is ready for his new friend to go back home. They do have a lot of fun together too, but after the first week, it got pretty testy between them. Claira is ready for her new sister to get here, we all are, but with her arrival comes a NEW new normal. Another transition on top of this one. We will have a 7 year old that doesn't speak english. What will this really look like?
When I start to wonder "what in the world did we just do?" I am reminded of the wise words " IT'S NOT ABOUT ME!" We didn't adopt these kids because we thought it would make our lives easier, or better, or more fulfilled. We adopted these kids because God placed an ache in our hearts for children who have no parents, no family, no home, no hope. He placed a desire to rescue a hurting soul and turn their little faces to Him. He called us to do an incredibly difficult thing. And everything worth doing is hard to do. It is not about us. It is about Jesus. It is about doing His will, which is not always easy. It is Not about us! I long to do His will with a grateful attitude. I want to do the hard things with joy. I want to love the unlovely. I want to care for the sick and downtrodden. I just want to have a pure heart before the Lord. I hate it when my flesh gets in the way. We are so brainwashed into thinking happiness is in an easy, successful, wealthy life. Not many people would trade the American Dream for a stressful life of childrearing and home schooling. It is not my dream, but my calling. I am fighting it, and it is difficult. But I know the Lord's treasures are far better than a pool and a sodded backyard. Pray for me to be content!
The miracles I have seen God preform in this adoption is enough to give me complete peace knowing that this is the Lord's will for us. I have never been more convinced about anything in my life. This was the Lord's plan from the foundations of the earth.
Praying for you Laura! I had to remind myself of the same thing today as I realized all the money we are going to have to spend to update homestudy/fingerprints since we won't be getting our referral anytime soon. I started calculating what we "could" spend that money on... I am constantly reminding myself to have an "eternity perspective."
ReplyDelete