...A beautiful Ethiopian baby! Yes, that is right, we are finally adopting! Kevin and I have been praying about adoption for at least 4 years. On September 1st we mailed in our application to America World Adoption Association and on the 17th we were officially accepted into the Ethiopian program. We are so excited! Last night a friend told me that I was "glowing". It is funny because I feel like I am glowing. It is the pregnancy glow. Though I am not physically pregnant, the thought of my new baby son or daughter fills me with an overwhelming joy, just like it did when I was pregnant. Adoption is such an amazing, God ordained way to grow your family, and show someone great love and acceptance. I hope I can encourage others to adopt during our adoption journey.
There are many reasons why we chose Ethiopia. Ethiopia has 4.3 million orphans. 500 babies/children die every day from starvation. Every day when my children ask me for food, and I give them food, I am reminded and tortured by the thought that there are millions of children who are literally starving to death. The only difference between my children, and those children are where they were born. I imagine not being able to feed my children, or having to leave my children at an orphanage just to insure they wouldn't die of starvation, and I can hardly stand it. It is an unbelievable tragedy.
We have really developed a heart for Africa over the past few years. Starting when our friends Steve and Carissa moved to Ethiopia to be missionaries. Another friend, Sandy Diner has a non profit organization called Invest in Children, along with helping traumatized youth in the states, she also heads a team that go to Uganda several times a year to share Jesus's love with orphans there. Another organization we have donated to called Invisible Children works to help kidnapped children who are forced to be soldiers by the terrorist, Joseph Kony. These kinds of things really make you think, and want to do something to help. In 2008 Kevin and I ran a half marathon to raise money for AIDS orphans in Africa through World Vision. Our next step is to go to Ethiopia and bring home a baby to love and call our own.
We have a long journey ahead, and a lot of money to raise. From Application to Travel is estimated to be between 10 and 24 months. And the costs can range from 25K to 38K. We are hoping for the former. So, in a year, maybe two, we will be a family of 6!
Please pray for the orphans around the world, pray for the parents who had to leave their children at orphanages to insure their survival, pray for God to bless Africa, it's countries, leaders and people. Pray for our adoption, that the Lord would provide all the funding, that He would be in this every step of the way, that He would keep our baby safe and healthy while we have no control over his/her environment or nourishment. Who am I kidding, we never have any control over anything. I am so glad God is in control! There isn't anywhere I'd rather be than in His will, and His love. He has complete control over every aspect of our lives. Thank You Jesus! And thank you, friends and family for your prayers!
There are many reasons why we chose Ethiopia. Ethiopia has 4.3 million orphans. 500 babies/children die every day from starvation. Every day when my children ask me for food, and I give them food, I am reminded and tortured by the thought that there are millions of children who are literally starving to death. The only difference between my children, and those children are where they were born. I imagine not being able to feed my children, or having to leave my children at an orphanage just to insure they wouldn't die of starvation, and I can hardly stand it. It is an unbelievable tragedy.
We have really developed a heart for Africa over the past few years. Starting when our friends Steve and Carissa moved to Ethiopia to be missionaries. Another friend, Sandy Diner has a non profit organization called Invest in Children, along with helping traumatized youth in the states, she also heads a team that go to Uganda several times a year to share Jesus's love with orphans there. Another organization we have donated to called Invisible Children works to help kidnapped children who are forced to be soldiers by the terrorist, Joseph Kony. These kinds of things really make you think, and want to do something to help. In 2008 Kevin and I ran a half marathon to raise money for AIDS orphans in Africa through World Vision. Our next step is to go to Ethiopia and bring home a baby to love and call our own.
We have a long journey ahead, and a lot of money to raise. From Application to Travel is estimated to be between 10 and 24 months. And the costs can range from 25K to 38K. We are hoping for the former. So, in a year, maybe two, we will be a family of 6!
Please pray for the orphans around the world, pray for the parents who had to leave their children at orphanages to insure their survival, pray for God to bless Africa, it's countries, leaders and people. Pray for our adoption, that the Lord would provide all the funding, that He would be in this every step of the way, that He would keep our baby safe and healthy while we have no control over his/her environment or nourishment. Who am I kidding, we never have any control over anything. I am so glad God is in control! There isn't anywhere I'd rather be than in His will, and His love. He has complete control over every aspect of our lives. Thank You Jesus! And thank you, friends and family for your prayers!
| I love to applique! I'm going to make one for the baby too. :) |

Congratulations, guys! I had no clue you were even thinking about adopting. I am so excited for you and look forward to seeing the Lord's glory through all of this. :)
ReplyDeleteShelley
Yay! I FINALLY got around to adding your guys to my blog list so I could keep up with what is going on. So excited that you were accepted into the program. We'll pray that it is as speedy as possible!! ;)
ReplyDelete